Have you ever considered joining a rambling club to motivate you to spend more time in the hills or out walking? Now is your chance to as the Ulster Federation of Rambling Clubs announce their upcoming Open Weekend On Sat 29th & Sun 30th September 2018.
Over 10 clubs from across Northern Ireland will be welcoming new walkers to their clubs for a specially tailored ‘Welcome Walk’ with the intention of encouraging more people to get active and increase new membership.
Commenting ahead of the weekend UFRC Active Clubs Coordinator Jayne Woodrow said, “So many people are nervous about walking in the hills on their own, for others it is for health or social reasons that they like the idea of regularly walking with a group. Our clubs are a real lifeline to many of our members who enjoy the weekly or by weekly challenge of getting out into the mountains or local trails. I would encourage anybody interested in keeping active, making new friends or simply looking to experience spectacular scenery Northern Ireland has to offer to come along to one (or more!) of these welcome walks.”
To take part is free however there are limited spaces on each of the walks so booking in advance is advised. More information on these walks including how to reserve your space can be found on both the UFRC & WalkNI websites.
The UFRC are currently supported by SportNI & The Big Lottery Fund NI through the Active Clubs Programme.
Walks taking place during the UFRC Open Weekend:
Sat 29th Sept
- Welcome Walk with Spartan Red Sox (Mourne Mountains, Sat 29th Sept)
- Welcome Walk with Armagh Rambling Club (Mourne Mountains, Sat 29th Sept)
- Welcome Walk with Belfast C.H.A Walking Group (Scrabo Country Park, Sat 29th Sept)
Sun 30th Sept
- Welcome Walk with East Antrim Ramblers (Newcastle, Sun 30th Sept)
- Welcome Walk with Out & About Hikers (Mourne Mountains, Sun 30th Sept)
- Welcome Walk with Glens of Antrim Rambling Club (Glenariff, Sun 30th Sept)
- Welcome Walk with Maine Rambling Club (Glenarm, Sun 30th Sept)
Additional walks to take place outside of weekend: